Slain Baltimore Man (25 Year-Old FREDDIE GRAY)’s Funeral Held Amid Alleged Credible Threat to Law Enforcement + Timeline of What Happened & Names of Officers Involved

The family of Freddie Gray, the man who died after suffering a spinal injury while in police custody in Baltimore, is preparing to lay the 25-year-old to rest this morning.

Gray’s funeral comes as Baltimore police announced that there is a credible threat against law enforcement officers as members from gangs including the Bloods, Crips, and Black Guerilla Family “have entered into a partnership to ‘take-out’ law enforcement officers,” according to a press release.

The funeral was not explicitly mentioned in the announcement of the credible threat, but it was released minutes before the service was set to begin.

The service was being held at Baltimore’s New Shiloh Baptist Church at 11 a.m. with a public viewing hour beforehand.

Church officials estimated that about 3,000 people were in attendance at the funeral, including civil rights leader Jesse Jackson. When Gray’s relatives processed into the church, a female relative, believed to be Gray’s mother, cried out, “Oh my baby, my baby!”

The funeral comes after a volatile weekend, as protests that started off peacefully on Saturday turned violent that afternoon in downtown Baltimore. Gray’s wake was held on Sunday and protests were held during that time as well. Baltimore City Police said that there were 34 arrests from Saturday afternoon through to the early morning hours of Sunday and six police officers suffered minor injuries.

A small group of protesters looted a convenience store and threw tables and chairs through store windows, Baltimore City Police said in a statement released Sunday afternoon.

Gray was picked up by police on Sunday, April 12. Police have not officially disclosed a reason why he was taken into custody, though they said Gray fled after officers made eye contact with him.

He went into a coma on Thursday, April 16, and died the morning of Sunday, April 19, his family attorney has said.

Controversy over Gray’s arrest spread across the country when footage shot by bystanders appeared to show Gray shouting in pain as he was apprehended.

Police officials have commented on the case and said on Friday that they can only give limited information because charges may be brought. They said the case remains under investigation.

The lawyer representing the Gray family said that more video of Gray’s interactions with police may exist.

PHOTO: Friends and family pay their respects at Freddie Grays wake at Vaughn Greene Funeral Home in Baltimore, April 26, 2015.

Algerina Perna/Baltimore Sun/TNS via Getty Images
PHOTO: Friends and family pay their respects at Freddie Gray’s wake at Vaughn Greene Funeral Home in Baltimore, April 26, 2015.

Attorney Jason Downs specifically cited the police department’s decision not to release communication traffic logs and 911 tapes.

“To our knowledge, there is absolutely no legal reason” for police to withhold that possible evidence, Downs said (cont’d)


What Happened?

The Department of Justice is looking into whether “prosecutable civil rights violation occurred” when Baltimore police officers apprehended a man who later died with an unexplained spinal injury, the latest development in a series of events that began more than a week ago.

“The Department of Justice has been monitoring the developments in Baltimore, MD, regarding the death of Freddie Gray,” a Justice Department spokesman said in a statement to ABC News. “Based on preliminary information, the Department of Justice has officially opened this matter and is gathering information to determine whether any prosecutable civil rights violation occurred.”

Police have not clarified why Freddie Gray, 25, was arrested or how he suffered the injury that his family says occurred in police custody and resulted in his death a week later.

The investigation into the arrest and Gray’s death is ongoing as more information continues to be released by Baltimore police, who agree with Gray’s family that the man suffered a spinal injury but don’t know how or when.

Here is a timeline of Gray’s interaction with the responding officers as compiled from police news conferences and information released in the past few days.PHOTO: Police Commissioner Anthony W. Batts, center, speaks to the media at a news conference on the death of Freddie Grey with Deputy Commissioner Jerry Rodriguez, left, and Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake in Baltimore, Monday, April 20, 2015.

Kevin Richardson/The Baltimore Sun/AP Photo
PHOTO: Police Commissioner Anthony W. Batts, center, speaks to the media at a news conference on the death of Freddie Grey with Deputy Commissioner Jerry Rodriguez, left, and Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake in Baltimore, Monday, April 20, 2015.

Sunday, April 12

8:39 a.m.: Police said officers were working in a West Baltimore area with a history of violence and drug deals, and a man, later identified as Gray, was seen at the corner of North Avenue and Mount Street.

The officers approached the man, who then fled on foot, but the reason for the approach remains a part of the ongoing police investigation, police said.

8:40 a.m.: A police officer was heard telling dispatch that officers had one person at 1700 Presbury Street, two blocks south of North and Mount, police said.

8:42 a.m.: A “wagon,” or van, was requested for transport, according to Baltimore police, and that Gray asked for an inhaler.

8:46 a.m.: The driver of the van believes Gray is acting “irate,” police say. An officer asks the van to stop so the paperwork can be completed, according to Baltimore police. At this point, Gray is taken out of the vehicle, placed in leg irons and then put back in the van, police said.

8:54 a.m.: The vehicle cleared Mount Street, heading toward central booking, police said.

8:59 a.m.: A request was made by the driver of the van for an additional “unit” to check on Gray, police say. There was some undisclosed communication with Gray at this point.

9:23 a.m.: Emergency medical services directed a technician to respond for an injured patient, as heard on a recording of the call that was publicly released.

9:24 a.m.: Police officers requested paramedics to the Western District to transport the man to an area hospital. In a subsequent charging document, police said, “During transport to Western District via wagon transport the Defendant suffered a medical emergency and was immediately transported to Shock Trauma.”

9:37 a.m.: On-scene medical responders said Gray was not breathing, according to EMS reports.

Thursday, April 16

Gray was said to be in a coma by his attorney.

Sunday, April 19

7:00 a.m.: Gray died. (cont’d)

Names of Suspended Baltimore Police Officers Released

Via Associated Press/Juliet Linderman, Baltimore police have released the names of six officers who have been suspended with pay after the death of a man who was critically injured during an arrest.

Police identified the officers Tuesday as:

— Lt. Brian Rice, who has been with the department since 1997.

— Sgt. Alicia White, who has been with the department since 2010.

— Officer Caesar Goodson, who has been there since 1999.

— Officers William Porter, Garrett Miller and Edward Nero, who all joined the department in 2012.

The officers were involved in the arrest and the van transport of 25-year-old Freddie Gray, who died a week after suffering a spinal injury while in police custody.

Last but not least, what is the world of social media without someone having just released this:CDojPBnWAAEfEb2

Author: OSFMagWriter

Spitfire . Media Maestro . Writing Rhinoceros .